Hatha Yoga traces its origins to yogic culture and traditions dating back to around 1st century BCE. Hatha Yoga holds its gravity in blending the solar energies with the energies of the moon to refine the human body with the richness of both solar and lunar energies.
Hatha yoga is comprised of two words, where Ha stands for SUN and Tha stands for the MOON. Hatha Yoga is considered to be the mildest form of Yoga that perfectly suits a beginner. Hatha Yoga is a combination of several basic Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners and also includes impactful yoga asanas.
Hatha yoga benefits the practitioner by infusing solar power in the human body that activates every organ in the body along with the lunar rays that calm the body, mind, and soul bringing an ideal balance to the overall human case.
Further Hatha Yoga poses are a sequence that intensifies the consciousness by clearly balancing the masculine and feminine of a person. Hatha Yoga sequence is one of the best Yoga Practice since Vedic times to introduce required flexibility to the body of the practitioner in order to prepare him for higher possibilities both in terms of Yoga as well as awakening.
Listed below are the Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners:
1. TADASANA – THE MOUNTAIN POSE
Tadasana or mountain pose is the pose of hatha yoga that constitutes the starting pose or resting pose of many forms of Yoga. Tadasana is a hatha yoga pose that works as an improvising tool for the human body.
In order to cue Tadasana or Mountain pose:
- Stand on the yoga mat with feet together and arms at the sides, while breathing rhythmically.
- Next, press your big toes together, separating the heels, if you need to.
- Tuck your tailbone inside.
- Inhale, take your arms overhead folding in the prayer position.
- Gaze right in front of you holding the pose for 60 seconds.
- Gently leave the pose.
Tadasana Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners Benefits:
- Tadasana improves posture.
- It strengthens the muscle, thighs, knees, and ankles.
- Tadasana acts as a natural cure for nerve disorders further proves to be a natural remedy for sciatica.
- Balance breathing.
- Tones the entire body giving the practitioner a pleasing personality.
- It enhances strength, power, and immunity in the body.
- Reduces flat feet.
- Expels indigestion and abdominal disorders.
- Expels insomnia, depression, and headaches.
- It rejuvenates and energizes the body.
2. VRIKSHASANA- THE TREE POSE
One of some popular medieval Hatha Yoga exercises for beginners which are still there in the good books of modern yoga is Vrikshasana. Tree pose basically is a standing hatha yoga pose that benefits humankind by providing a good stretch to thorax, thigh, shoulder as well as the inguinal region of the body.
In order to land on the Vrikshasana pose:
- Stand straight on the yoga mat.
- Lift your right leg and place the fright feet on the left thigh.
- Raise your hands and place them in front of your chest in the Namaskar position.
- Now lift your hands towards the ceiling while maintaining the Namaskar position.
- Breathe and try to maintain balance.
- Hold the pose for 60 seconds then release the right leg and come back to the original position.
- Now repeat the steps with your left legs.
Vrikshasana Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners Benefits:
- Vrikshasana is a boon in improving body balance.
- Vrikshasana benefits the body by strengthening the tendons and ligaments.
- This pose gives good pelvic stability.
- The weight-bearing nature of the pose helps a body to strengthen the legs, calves and ankle joints.
- It helps in boosting the self-confidence and prepares you for the further higher levels of possibilities.
Also Read: What Is Dhanurasana Yoga (Bow Pose), How To Do It And Its Benefits? - Step-by-Step Beginner-Friendly Guide!
3. UTTANASANA –STANDING FORWARD BEND POSE
Uttanasana or the standing forward bend pose is again medieval one of the best hatha yoga poses that has experience fame in the books of modern yoga. Uttanasana is a basic pose that is very beneficial to beginners who have just started yoga. It is easy to perform as compared to other intense stretch but at the same point, it provides a good stretch of the entire sheath and connective tissues of the body.
Following are the steps to perform this hatha yoga asana:
- Stand straight on your yoga mat keeping your feet hip-distance apart.
- Ground yourself properly by pressing the feet firmly on the ground.
- On breathing, gently bend forward from your hips not from your waist and place your chest and stomach on your thighs.
- In case you are a beginner, you need to bend your knees slightly in initial days of practice to achieve the pose perfectly.
- Now slowly straighten your legs.
- Once you are stable elevate your hips and leg muscles.
- Cross your forearms and grab your elbows further hang your head down.
- You can bring your hands to the floor or hold your hands behind the legs.
- Hold the pose for at least thirty seconds.
- Release the pose gently.
Uttanasana Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners Benefits:
- The pose serves several benefits to the human body.
- The pose stimulates the efficient working of the liver and kidney.
- This pose relieves the mind and calms various mental disorders like insomnia, fatigue, mild depression and stress.
- Practicing the pose regularly boosts the digestive system.
- Reduces the discomfort at the time of the menstrual cycle and cure any abdominal related problem.
4. ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA –DOWNWARD FACING DOG POSE
Adho Mukha Svanasana also is known as Downward Facing Pose is one of the best hatha yoga asanas for a beginner. Downward Facing Dog Pose serves the beginner to step in the ocean of advanced yoga posture.
This Hatha Yoga asana is a combo of toning, irrigating as well as oxygenating benefits for the body. This is an inversion pose in Hatha Yoga and is practiced as a sequence of Sun Salutation.
- Slowly lie down on your abdomen.
- Place your palms closer to your chest by the side of your chest.
- Keep your legs together.
- Rise your chest to come up, Lift your chest up
- Tuck your toes while slowly lifting your knees off the mat.
- And come on to the Downward Facing Dog pose.
Adho Mukha Svanasana Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners Benefits:
- This yoga asana is known as a natural stress cutter
- Adho Mukha Svanasana benefits the body by boosting it with its energizing effects.
- This beginner pose of hatha yoga stretches the shoulder, hamstrings, calves as well as arches.
- This hatha yoga asana is a boon if suffering from menstrual discomfort of menopause.
- It helps in preventing many bone diseases like Osteoporosis.
- Therapeutic in nature and treats high blood pressure, asthma, flat feet, sinusitis, etc.
5. SETU BANDHASANA - BRIDGE POSE
Setu Bandhasana is one of the most efficient Hatha yoga poses for beginners. This basic yoga pose is named after the final pose it gives which resembles a bridge. This is a back-bending asana of hatha yoga and has earned a lot of fame in the books of modern yoga.
- Lie down on your back.
- Place your heels as close as possible to your butt.
- Hold your ankles, while your thumb is directed outside.
- Raise the hip so high that your chest comes into your chin.
- Your waist shall not feel any crunch or pain.
- If you feel any discomfort in your waist, lower it a bit.
- Feel your outer thighs rolling inside.
- Hold the pose.
- Relax your body.
- Release the pose gently.
Setu Bandhasana Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners Benefits:
- Good body stretch.
- Strengthens the body, back, hips and hamstrings.
- Facilitate efficient blood circulation.
- Alleviate stress and anxiety.
- This hatha yoga asana improves the digestive system.
- Stimulates the body organs and glands for good body mechanics.
- Stimulate an efficient body functioning.
6. SALABHASANA-LOCUST POSE
Salabhasana which is also known as the Locust pose is one of the most effective beginner poses in Hatha Yoga. This hatha yoga pose for beginners incorporates the benefits of several basic yoga asanas such as Bow pose and Monster Pose.
This pose is very effective and away towards the advanced level of learning for a yoga beginner. Salabhasana prepares the beginners for complex backbends. Locust pose benefits beginners by providing immense strength to the torso, legs, and arms.
In order to land to this platter of benefit hosted by hatha yoga poses for beginners you can simply follow the following steps:
- Lie on your belly on the yoga mat.
- Your arms should be placed alongside your torso.
- Keep your palms up and the forehead should rest on the floor.
- Turn your big toes towards each other in order to rotate your thighs inward.
- Exhale and lift your head, upper torso, arms, and legs away from the floor.
- Now you will be resting on your lower ribs.
- Raise your arms parallel to the floor.
- Gaze forward or slightly upward.
- Hold the pose for at last 1 minute.
- Release the pose with an exhalation.
Salabhasana Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners Benefits:
- Strengthens the bones as well as muscles.
- This basic yoga pose tones the body by shaping and braces the spine, hips arms, legs, and thighs.
- Works as a good stretch for the shoulder, chest, belly, and thigh.
- Reprises the posture.
- Stimulate and boost the abdominal organs.
- Alleviate stress and anxiety.
- Treats mild depression.
- Improves digestion.
Also Read: Steps & Benefits of Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)
7. VIRBHADRASANA- WARRIOR POSE
Another best hatha yoga asana for beginners is Virbhadrasana – The Warrior Pose. As the name says, this pose speaks a lot about the courage that a warrior has.
Likewise, Warrior Pose symbolizes the extreme determination; courage and wisdom that one needs to withstand the earthly and spiritual affairs. Warrior Pose is listed in modern yoga as a lunging standing pose. The pose is best for beginners to step in the complexity of yoga and to begin the advance level of learning.
In order to land to this platter of benefit hosted by hatha yoga you can simply follow the following steps:
- Start on the floor
- Keep your legs wide apart on the yoga mat
- Turn the right foot to the right side in 90 degrees and Inhale
- Join the palms over your head
- Bend right knee above your right ankle
- Reach your arms back slightly
- Expand your chest
- Tuck your tail bone under, breath
- Exhale and come up
- Switch to the other side
- Continue with the other side
- Hold the pose for at least three breaths
- Release the pose by gently bringing the palms down and coming back to the original posture
Virbhadrasana Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners Benefits:
- Works as a natural strengthener for arms, legs, back as well as ankles.
- The warrior pose benefits the body by opening up the chest and lungs.
- This hatha yoga asana benefits beginners to improve balance and focus.
- This is the basic yoga pose that enhances stability in your life and body.
- Improves the blood circulation of the body.
- This hatha yoga pose proves to be the best yoga asana for beginners when it comes to stretch.
- Natural body energizer.
Also Read: 11 Amazing Benefits of Chakrasana (The Wheel Pose)
FINAL WORDS: Relish the virtues of the ancient form of yoga. Get into the holistic world of Yoga with the basic yoga asanas of Hatha Yoga. Transform yourself from a beginner to an advanced yoga practitioner by flowing with the best Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners.
Above mentioned poses deliver the best hatha yoga asanas to the beginners who want to kick start their journey as a yogi. Know the immense benefits of Hatha Yoga to imbibe this art in your soul and refine your inner yogi or yogini.
To set your career as a professional yoga teacher and self-practitioner enroll yourself in the 200 Hours Yoga Teacher Training Course in Rishikesh at Haritha Yogshala and expertise in the beginner level of Hatha Yoga.
Feel free to ask any query related to Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners in the comment box. Don’t forget to share this article on Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter.
Read More: 12 Steps Of Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)