One of the pre-eminent yoga poses widely known for their frequent health benefits is Bhujangasana or The Cobra Pose. Bhujangasana also is known as the cobra pose is a reclining backbend. The benefits of Bhujangasana can be reaped while performing Surya Namaskar. Bhujangasana is one of the twelve poses of Sun salutation or Surya Namaskar. The presence of Bhujangasana in the cycle of Surya Namaskar speaks of the worth of this asana in Vedic science and yoga.
Being a reclining back bending asana of yoga, Bhujangasana or the cobra pose is power bucket of plentiful benefits of yoga.
How to perform Bhujangasana- The Cobra Pose?
Coming to the steps of Bhujangasana or the cobra pose, the cobra pose defines the posture of this yoga asana resembling a serpent or a snake where the body is straight on the floor with the shoulder and head raised high and backward just like the king of snakes cobra. The name Bhujangasana holds its origin in the language of Sanskrit where bhujang symbolizes the snake and asana represents posture.
Steps of Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana):
Lie on your stomach resting your forehead on the floor.
• Bring your arms to the shoulder level and place the palms on the floor.
• Inhale, place your body weight on your palms and raise your trunk and head. At this stage, your arms should be bent at your elbows.
• Now raise your head backward to resemble cobra with its hood raised. At this stage, the only thing you have to keep in mind is that your shoulders are away from your ears and shoulder blades are firm enough.
• Press your hips, feet, and thighs on the floor.
• Your stomach must be pressed against the floor.
• Hold the asana for about 15 to 30 seconds.
• In order to release the pose, slowly bring your arms back to the sides; bring your head back on the floor making your forehead touching the ground.
• Placing your hands beneath your head, rest the head on one side and gently breathe.
Excellent Benefits of Bhujangasana - The Cobra Pose
Bhujangasana or The Cobra Pose extends its benefits to the following regions of the body:
1. Muscles: Bhujangasana bends your neck and head region backward while the body lies straight on the floor upside down, this bend is a windfall in treating firm muscles of shoulder, chest, and neck by making them extremely flexible by the regular practice of Bhujangasana. Bhujangasana benefits the practitioner by opening up the chest. This cobra pose not only makes your body flexible but also fills the muscles with great physical strength.
2. Digestive System: The Cobra Pose is a natural stimulator for good gastrointestinal functioning. While practicing the pose, there is a backward bend of the neck and chest region that gives a gentle stretch to the body thereby encouraging the efficiency of abdominal organs. The cobra pose is an indirect massager. Cobra pose benefits the digestive organs by giving them a mellow massage that activates the proper functioning of digestive organs, optimum secretion of digestive fluids and better absorption of food thereby making the gut happy.
3. Respiratory System: The benefits of cobra pose lie in its multidimensional virtues that heals the human body with its natural touch. Bhujangasana gives your body good flexibility that opens up the chest cavity giving a good room to your lungs to expand therefore, this asana of yoga ensures a good functioning of the respiratory system. Furthermore, Bhujangasana heals lungs and respiratory disorders like Asthma, allergies and other such disorders.
4. Circulatory System: Circulatory system is a web of blood vessels, blood, and heart. The unhealthy lifestyle in modern times has brought a heavy percentage of the population in the ring of heat diseases. The benefits of Bhujangasana are profound in yoga in healing the body naturally. Bhujangasana ensures a good supply of oxygenated blood smoothly through the blood vessels to the heart and every organ of the body. A good blood circulation ensures a good transport of nutrients, hormones, and oxygen removing unnecessary waste products. Bhujangasana benefits the human body with a healthy circulatory system.
5. Central Nervous System: Central nervous system is the administrative department of the body. The brain and the spinal cord rules the body functioning where the brain works as a boss managing the functioning of all the organs and the spinal cord works as the messenger of stimulus and response, but sometimes the leader also needs aid. Bhujangasana being a good stretcher and a gentle massager heals the spinal cord and brain to ensure better functioning of central nervous system. Furthermore, Bhujangasana is a natural reliever from backache, neck ache and other such ailments.
6. Cushion to Body: Bhujangasana works as a natural cushion to the body that protects the body from various injuries. Bhujangasana stretches frontal planes and hips making them flexible and protecting them from injuries. Further, the Bhujangasana relieves the leg from sciatica pain by softening the spinal impingement.
7. Urinary System: the benefits of Bhujangasana also include better functioning of the renal system, this pose of yoga in numerous ways to the human body. Being a good stretch and massager, Bhujangasana heals the kidney while compressing the lower back in this yoga asana. Moreover, Bhujangasana simply kneads the abdominal organs certifying a healthy urinary system and proper waste elimination.
8. Kundalini Awakening: The cobra pose is a key to kundalini awakening. This yoga asana results in kundalini Jagran that connects oneself to the higher self-giving an immense peace to body, soul, and mind. The cobra pose or Bhujangasana is a source of cosmic energies to the human body; it is a way to experience a divine soul inside the body that takes you back to the Vedic era. Furthermore, kundalini awakening infuses the muscle and body with extreme strength ensuring a natural remedy for various physical ailments, liver, and stomach related problems.
9. Chakra Healer: The cobra pose is a chakra healer, performing cobra pose can open up the chakras or nerve centres associated with your body. Bhujangasana keeps the seven chakras of the body balanced thereby balancing the whole body naturally and spiritually.
10. Overall Wellbeing: The cobra pose is a package of unlimited benefits of yoga. Bhujangasana also known as cobra pose extols mental, physical and spiritual benefits. This asana of yoga relieves one from anxiety, stress and other mind-related ailments giving good mental hygiene. Therefore, the benefits of Bhujangasana are associated with the overall wellbeing of humankind.
11. Spiritual Awakening: Cobra Pose is an advance yoga asana that reconnects your inner self to the supreme by redefining your limits. Cobra pose recreates your bars widening your possibilities. Cobra pose servers you with serene peace that awakens you. Cobra Pose sets you towards self-awakening.
Read More: 7 Excellent Benefits Of Parvatasana (Mountain Pose )
FINAL WORDS: Adding Cobra Pose to your daily regime serves you with the outstanding benefits of Cobra Pose. Being an advanced yoga pose, Cobra Pose enriches your physical health. For those who are struggling with daily life stress and anxiety, Cobra Pose is miraculous. Furthermore, this yoga asana benefits our spiritual wellbeing by awakening our Chakras and Kundalini. Remodel your lifestyle into a healthy one by availing the fruits of yoga asanas. Moreover, Cobra pose is enough in itself to heal your body, soul, and mind. Cobra Pose adds the best therapeutic benefits of yoga asana to your lifestyle.
Discover the best and the easiest way to line up the yoga poses by enrolling in the 200 Hours Yoga Teacher Training Course at the best yoga school in Rishikesh. Embellish your wellbeing by learning the most trending healing techniques; Sound Healing Teacher Training Course. Join our wellness Retreat to experience the serenity of Yoga, Ayurveda, Healing and Meditation.