Sarvangasana or the shoulder stand is one of the aged yoga poses which is forwarded to modern times to restore the benefits of the ethnic art of yoga. Sarvangasana is similar to other hatha yoga poses. Sarvangasana or the shoulder stand nestles closely around Sirsasana or the headstand, the only attributes that distinct these two powerful yoga poses are: where sirsasana is crowned as the king of yoga, Sarvangasana-the shoulder stand is tagged as the queen or mother of the yoga poses by B.K.S. Iyengar carrying the most benefits of yoga asanas. Next, Sarvangasana or the shoulder stand precedes sirsasana, it is important to master Sarvangasana before opting sirsasana. Being the mother or queen of yoga poses, Sarvangasana benefits the human body tenderly with its harmonious and balancing attributes. Where on one hand Sarvangasana gently nurtures the human body, soul, and mind there, on the other hand, the Sarvangasana strengthens the body with its tough and complex inversion making one capable of overcoming every check of life.
The benefits of Sarvangasana are many in numbers; this art of yoga poses is benefiting the human body since early Vedic times. In the modern era, Sarvangasana is gentrified to post on the benefits of shoulder stand to humankind.
Before moving towards the benefits, let’s see how to perform Sarvangasana.
Steps of Sarvangasana or the shoulder stand:
The following steps elaborate that how to perform shoulder stand or Sarvangasana.
1. Lie straight on your back on a yoga mat keeping your arms alongside, palms facing downwards.
2. Stretch your legs out straight on the mat.
3. Start folding your knees inwards, bringing your heels close to your hips.
4. Inhale and start lifting your feet off the floor, bringing your thighs to the upper part of the body.
5. Now start lifting your back upwards.
6. Support your lower back with your hands.
7. Raise your pelvic bone over the shoulders, keeping the torso perpendicular to the floor.
8. Now you are already to achieve the climax, just straighten your legs upwards towards the ceiling, bringing your body in a straight line.
9. Gently look towards the chest.
10. Hold the pose as per your comfort.
11. Release slowly.
Top 11 Excellent Benefits Of Sarvangasana(Shoulder Stand):
Listed below are the amazing benefits of Sarvangasana, the benefits of shoulder stand are enumerated below to give a detailed view of the excellent benefits of yoga:
1. Improved Blood Circulation: Being the mother or the queen of the yoga poses, Sarvangasana benefits the human body by smoothening the blood flow to each and every corner of the body. This complex inversion channelizes the blood right from the toe to the tip, rejuvenating every cell of the body. Sarvangasana protects the body from various skin diseases including leukemia and other such chronic disorders.
2. Cardiovascular Vigor: The shoulder stand benefits include the key to cardiovascular fitness. The inverted yoga pose benefits the human body by directing the oxygen-rich blood evenly to heart, unclogging the arteries and giving birth to a healthy heart. Therefore, Sarvangasana is a yoga pose that protects the body from various cardiovascular diseases, rejuvenating heart and fostering a long and healthy life.
3. Therapeutic for Nervous System: Sarvangasana or the shoulder stand is a boon to the agonistics, people suffering from high levels of anxiety, aggression, panic attacks, mood swings, etc. can happily opt Sarvangasana to naturally cure the mental and neurological ailments by balancing the parasympathetic nervous system. Sarvangasana proves to be therapeutic for overall mental and neurological hygiene.
4. Healthy Gut: Today, the generation has transformed the body into a garbage bin by storing all the carbs and junks. This inverted pose vastly works on better absorption of digestive juices thereby ensuring proper functioning of the overall digestive system. It simplifies the food absorption giving a happier and healthy gut. Furthermore, Sarvangasana heals digestive issues naturally leading oneself towards a healthy lifestyle.
5. Increases Muscle Strength and Flexibility: If looking for good muscle strength simply resort to Sarvangasana, the shoulder stand is considered one of the most complex and powerful yoga asana that involves every part of the body in the formation of the pose. Sarvangasana, requires good hip flexibility, arm strength, neck support and overall flexibility of the body. The shoulder stand benefits the flexibility and muscle strength of the body by engaging every muscle into the pose ensuring better strength and power.
6. Healthy Thyroids: Sarvangasana or the shoulder stand enhances the flow of blood right from the tip to the toe. The blood flows smoothly to the thyroid and parathyroid glands activating the balanced functioning of the glands protecting the body from the thyroid-related disorders viz. hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. Therefore, the shoulder stand benefits the body by the proper functioning of glands leading to balanced wellbeing.
7. Relieves Common Cold: Common cold is a very conventional ailment that can be found in 2 out of 10 human beings. The communicable behaviour of this infectious common disease makes it most important to be cured. Sarvangasana popped up as a natural remedy for such communicable disease while performing Sarvangasana or the shoulder stand the chin is near the chest which densifies the blood supply to the neck and head unclogging the congestion and opening the nasal cavity ensuring easy respiration.
8. Cut to Insomnia: The inverted yoga asana proves to be a cut to insomnia. The pose engages the crown by placing it firmly on the floor. Sarvangasana channelizes a smooth blood supply to the head which amazingly triggers both the hemispheres of the brain ensuring an ultimate balance and peace of mind. The good levels of blood flow oxygenate the brain leading to good sleep and overall good mental hygiene thereby cutting off all the mental ailments.
9. Boon to Youth: Who wants to grow old? People strive hard to maintain their youth by taking artificial aids to fight fine lines and ageing. Sarvangasana benefits the human race by working as a natural remedy to restore youth. The benefits of shoulder stand lie in its power to infuse every inch of body with a supply of pure oxygenated blood which triggers the skin and scalp giving a perfect glow and youth to the epidermis. Moreover, Sarvangasana fights various skin diseases and ensure good hair growth.
10. Spiritual Pathfinder: No one can deny the spiritual benefits of Sarvangasana. The shoulder stand is the queen of all the yoga asanas which imparts the benefits of yoga asanas differently. Being the mother, Sarvangasana doesn’t stay back from leading the Sadhak towards the path of immense spirituality. The shoulder stand is the most complex yoga pose which takes the body unnaturally upside down to connect the body with the universal supreme soul by preparing the practitioner for higher levels of possibilities and curbing the false materialistic attachments. The queen of yoga, Sarvangasana throws the light on a divine path by presenting an upside-down view of the whole existing world giving the practitioner a wider vision of life.
11. Recreates Balance: Shoulder stand is beneficial when it comes to recreate balance. This pose teaches you to hold your body weight perpendicularly on your shoulder. This yoga pose opens the scope of body balance and offers you with higher possibilities.
Awareness Of Sarvangasana(Shoulder Stand):
1. Keep your body erect
2. Stay balanced
3. Breath from abdomen
4. Focus your throat and thyroid
Contraindications of Sarvangasana(Shoulder Stand)
1. Don’t bend the knees
2. Do not overstrain your neck or chin
3. Do not keep your legs vertical completely if they stress.
4. Do not over tense your legs
Final Words: The top excellent benefits of Sarvangasana are broadly unfolded above. If you’re really suffering from problems related to thyroid then this pose can give you immense relief. Shoulderstand is just not restricted to one region of the body, but being a vertical stretch, Shoulderstand benefits the overall wellbeing. To cherish a robust lifestyle and longevity one should really add the shoulder stand in their daily yoga routine. Complexities can always lead one to complex and extreme insight of human power. Learn more about Sarvangasana(Shoulder Stand), join yoga teacher training in India.