About Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend Pose):
One of the several amazing benefits drizzled by Hatha yoga to the humankind is Paschimottanasana. The term Paschimottanasana has been derived originally from the Sanskrit Language and widely known as a Seated Forward Bend Pose in English. This hatha yoga asana is proved to be a good stretch for the body. The intensity of this healthy bend pose gave it the name of Intense Dorsal stretch in the books of modern yoga and exercise.
Paschimottanasana is one of the best hatha yoga poses to aid the human body with an entire stretch. The benefits of Paschimottanasana are startling. This yoga asana is very effective for people suffering from various blood and glands related disorders such as high blood pressure and diabetes. To avail, the maximum benefits of Paschimottanasana one should practice this asana of Hatha Yoga early in the morning. It is advised to practice Paschimottasana or Seated forward bend pose after emptying your bowels. One should not have a meal immediately after practicing this pose rather try to make the meal well in advance which means before practicing Paschimottanasana.
Paschimottanasana is vastly known for its various benefits but before that, we will see the perfect way to perform Paschimottanasana.
Listed below are the steps of Paschimottanasana:
- Sit on your yoga mat with both of your legs stretched out in front of you.
- While sitting in this position make sure that your spine is placed erect and toes are flexed towards you
- Inhale, stretch up by raising both your hands straight above your head.
- Exhale, now start bending forwards from the hips moving your chin towards the toes.
- Now, either hold your right wrist in front of the feet or simply place your hands on your legs, wherever they reach easily without forcing.
- Place your head to the knees or shins and take long exhalations.
- Stretch your spine forward, reaching towards your legs with the head.
- Breathe, simply stretches the arms out in front of you.
- Inhale, come back to the sitting position.
- Exhale and release the pose by lowering your arm.
The preparatory poses that one can consider before practicing the yoga asana of Paschimottanansana are:
Top 9 Benefits of Paschimootanasana (Seated Forward Bend):
1. Entire Stretch: Pashcimottanasana engages the entire body to achieve the final yoga pose. Paschimottanasana stretches the spine, shoulders, hamstrings, thighs and calf muscles thereby giving your body an excellent stretch. This yoga pose benefits the practitioner by calming and relaxing the firm muscles and tissue groups which in turn helps you to achieve maximum flexibility removing the tightness from the hamstrings and relieving the bothering muscle pain.
2. Calms the Mind and Body: One of the best health benefits of Paschimottanasana is that it relieves the mental and physical stress thereby calming the body and mind. Regular practice of Paschimottanasana stimulates a smooth flow of blood to the entire body thereby energizing the cells of the whole body especially mind. Good transportation of blood to the mind relaxes the body and mind which in turn helps one in reducing the mental ailments like stress, depression, insomnia, and other such disorders. Paschimottanasana harmonizes the astral energies of the body which finally rejuvenates the overall well being with its well-formed yoga pose.
3. Natural Fat Reducer: Another most trending benefit of Paschimottanasana is that it works as an excellent natural fat reducer. The most common problem faced by the people today is excess belly fat. The natural remedy to curb such unwanted belly fat showered by Paschimottanasana is worth mentioning. Practicing Paschimottanasana involves abdominal stretch which reduces the excess abdominal fat and tones the body beautifully. Paschimottanasana is a cosmic alternative of expensive unnatural fat cutters available in the market.
4. Boon to the Pelvic Region: Today approximately 74% of the total world population is prone to the abdominal disorders in which the women hold the major share. People rely on medicines and surgeries which are always high on pockets. Hatha yoga with its various yoga asanas massages and tones the abdominal and pelvic organs which further heals the body from various abdominal disorders like cholecystitis, ulcerative colitis, gastric issues, pancreatitis and so on. The yoga asana heavily benefits the women at the time of menstruation by relieving the menstrual cramps and toning the abdominal organs. Furthermore, the excellent benefits of Paschimottanasana are that this yoga pose is beneficial for ovaries, uterus, kidneys, and liver. The seated forward bend pose helps at the time of menopause. It also prevents critical episodes at the time of pregnancy.
5. Soothes the Nervous System: The nervous system is a telecommunication center of our body where the spinal cord holds a major role. Spinal cord cases the milliards of nerves carrying the messages throughout the body. Paschimottanasana ensures a smooth supply of blood to all the organs including the brain which oxygenates the body and sets the seal on the smooth functioning of the nervous system in the body. It not only prevents but also protects the body from various nerve disorders. Efficient transport of blood energized the nerve and opens up the nerve centers placed inside the body that recreates a proper body balance and helps in the proficient functioning of the body.
6. Tones the Internal as well as External Body: Paschimottanasana transports rich blood to all the organs of the body. Besides this, the seated forward bend pose provides the practitioners with an excellent stretch that makes the body immensely flexible in nature. The time calls for an attractive personality and Paschimottanansana is one of the best natural exercises to achieve the desired personality. Paschimottanasana massages and tones the internal as well as external organs giving one a perfectly balanced and healthy body along with a pleasing personality.
7. Improves Digestion: Immunity comes from the gut. To achieve healthy wellbeing you need to pamper your gut. Paschimottanasana benefits by stimulating the proper functioning of the digestive organs. Practicing this pose regularly can heavily aid your digestive organs and facilitate a smooth secretion of required digestive juices thereby strengthening the overall digestive system. Improved digestion leads to proper absorption of food which further gives a healthy body.
8. Reduce Fatigue: Another top benefit of Paschimottanasana is that a regular practice of this hatha yoga asana improves the wellbeing. addition of this pose in daily ledger improves the body's energy thereby curbing the unknown body weakness. Paschimottanansana reduces fatigue giving one a new power and strength to the daily lifestyle.
9. Fetches to Meditation: Seated Forward Bend helps one to land on an upright posture preparing you to reach the state of Meditation. Paschimottanasana stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system thereby calming the mind and soul. A peaceful state of mind is conducive to meditation. Paschimottanasana gives a serene relaxation to the mind and soul leading you towards a real path of ultimate wellbeing and spirituality.
Therapeutic Benefits of Paschimottanasana:
The pose cures the following:
- High blood pressure
- Menstrual cycle and menopause discomforts
- Lack of energy
- Neurological disorders
- Firm muscles
- Mild depression
Contraindications of Paschimottanasana or Seated Forward Bend Pose:
One should avoid Paschimottanasana in the following cases:
- Slipped disc
- Pregnant women
- Recent injuries
The follow-up of the pose of Paschimottanasana:
Adho Mukha Virasana (Downward facing hero pose).
Read More: 7 Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners
FINAL WORDS: Paschimottanasana is a widely known Hatha Yoga pose holding a long list of yoga benefits. Seated Forward Bend has been proved to be a boon to the modern books of yoga. This yoga asana benefits humankind with its impressive healing touch and gentle toning virtues. While lining up any yoga asana you must know the preparatory as well as the contraindication of the pose. Haritha Yogshala delivers you the perfect blaze of every vital keynote of Paschimottananasana. Do not only learn to land to the pose but also wake up to the aged benefits of Paschimottanasana. In order to become a Pro in Yoga join the Best Yoga Retreat in Rishikesh at Haritha Yogshala. Give yourself a beautiful chance to experience the serenity of a Yogi with Haritha Yogshala. Join the 200 Hours Yoga Teacher Training course in the best yoga school of Rishikesh, Haritha Yogshala to pass on your learning as a legacy to your students. We welcome pleasing souls from all around the world to uncover the secrets of a yogic lifestyle and adorn their lives with extreme benefits of Yoga and Ayurveda.